For buyers who are on the fence between buying a new or existing home, multiple factors should be considered, including which property will maintain the most value.
When you buy a used home, be sure to research home values going back for five to 10 years. While there are no guarantees of future home prices, prices on existing homes in established neighborhoods are often more stable than those in new communities, says Vince Verni, a Realtor with Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage in Babylon, N.Y.
"When you buy a new home, it's essential to research the reputation of your builder and look at the quality of the materials being used because that will have an impact on how well your home value holds up," says Raylene Lewis, a Realtor with Century 21 Beal in College Station, Texas.
Typically, new homes represent about 15 percent of the housing market, says Walter Malony, spokesman for the National Association of Realtors in Washington, D.C. Although in 2012, just 7 percent of buyers opted for a new home.
It's the same financing process when qualifying for a new or existing home, says Rob Ross, vice president and branch manager of MVB Mortgage in Reston, Va. The loan programs and fees are the same, too.
"The big difference is that you're likely to close a lot later on a new home than a resale," he says. "You can usually lock in your mortgage rate for up to 60 days for free, but if you need to wait six months or a year to close you'll have to decide whether to risk higher rates or pay a large fee to lock in current mortgage rates."
Ross says that some lenders allow you to lock in your rate for as long as a year, but this can cost up to two points, which would be $6,000 on a $300,000 loan. Fees for locking in your rate are usually nonrefundable, he says.
4 reasons to buy new
No. 1: Customization
"A lot of buyers like new homes because they can choose everything from the stain on the hardwood floor to the granite for their counters," says Verni. "Some builders allow you to change the layout and move walls."
Lewis says the amount of customization depends on how expensive the home is.
No. 2: Low maintenance
Buyers like the idea that they won't have to do much maintenance on a new home, says Lewis. Most builders provide warranties that require them to make repairs.
Existing homes typically require more money for upkeep down the road, says Verni.
No. 3: Modern amenities
New homes have to be built to the latest code and most builders use the latest technology, including USB openings on electrical outlets, wireless Internet access and energy-efficient features, says Verni.
No. 4: Modern style
Newly designed homes match today's tastes like an open family room and kitchen, higher ceilings and more storage space, says Verni.
4 reasons to buy used
No. 1: Cost
"The biggest advantage to buying used is the price," says Lewis. "You pay a premium for buying new." In an existing home, you know what you're getting for the price and don't have to worry about builders doing a "bait-and-switch for upgrades that buyers thought were standard."
Homeowners tend to negotiate more than builders, although builders sometimes offer incentives like paid closing costs to help offset the higher price, says Lewis.
No. 2: Waiting time
Existing homes are available on the specified move-in date, whilenew homes can take months to build, says Lewis.
No. 3: Unfinished community
In a used home, you know what amenities are in the community and nearby, while in a new community you don't always know if planned amenities will be built, says Verni.
You can also avoid the noise and mess of living amongst a construction site if you buy used, says Lewis.
No. 4: Landscaping and interior features
A big advantage of existing homes is that they have landscaping already in place, says Lewis.
"Friends of mine who bought new were frustrated when they realized that they had to buy every single hook, curtain and blind for their home," says Verni.
Future home values, your timeline for moving and the costs of new and existing homes in your area should all factor into your new-or-used decision.
Michele Lerner, author of "HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time", has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades for a variety of publications and websites including The Washington Post, The Motley Fool, Investopedia, Insurance.com, HSH.com, SavingsAccount.com, National Real Estate Investor magazine, The Washington Times, Urban Land magazine, NAREIT's REIT magazine and numerous Realtor associations.
- Oct 09, 2013 How will the tapering of Quantitative Easing impact the mortgage and real estate markets?
- Oct 02, 2013 Should you buy a home through the seller's agent?
- Sep 30, 2013 4 things to know about fall home buying
- Sep 24, 2013 Ditch your spouse when buying that house
- Sep 13, 2013 The return of subprime lending?
- Sep 11, 2013 Surviving in a 'suicide subdivision'
- Sep 04, 2013 Pros and cons of private-mortgage loans
- Aug 26, 2013 8 ways to battle rising mortgage rates
- Aug 21, 2013 What stays, what goes when you buy a home?
- Aug 08, 2013 What's the right mortgage for you?
- Aug 06, 2013 4 good things, 4 bad things about rising mortgage rates
- Aug 01, 2013 What size down payment should you make?
- Jul 26, 2013 8 costs to consider when buying a rental property
- Jul 22, 2013 Unpermitted construction: Not worth the risk
- Jul 17, 2013 Mortgages for all ages
- Jul 15, 2013 5 tips for mastering a homeowners association
- Jul 10, 2013 You're preapproved--now don't blow it
- Jun 26, 2013 Home buying: There are apps for that
- Jun 24, 2013 Why summer home buying is so hot
- Jun 20, 2013 Homebuyer beware of identity theft
- Jun 12, 2013 In-house lenders aren't always best
- Jun 05, 2013 4 steps to hiring the best movers
- Jun 03, 2013 How to buy a home with a pool
- May 20, 2013 Home buying bridges the gender gap
- May 16, 2013 The return of lower down payments
- May 13, 2013 What you must earn to buy a home in 25 cities
- May 09, 2013 No more signing on the dotted line
- May 06, 2013 How to buy a home with long-term value
- Apr 29, 2013 5 ways to win a bidding war
- Apr 24, 2013 How to get preapproved for a mortgage
- Apr 16, 2013 Knock, knock: I'd like to buy your home
- Apr 08, 2013 10 tips for first-time homebuyers
- Mar 29, 2013 How to buy a REO property
- Mar 25, 2013 It's a good time to be a jumbo mortgage borrower
- Mar 19, 2013 Are online-only banks the future of mortgage lending?
- Mar 14, 2013 Graduate from renter to buyer despite student loans
- Mar 05, 2013 6 ways to shop for the best mortgage rates
- Mar 01, 2013 11 reasons to get a mortgage now
- Feb 27, 2013 Backup offers can make your dream home a reality
- Feb 15, 2013 6 ways to get the best mortgage rates
- Feb 08, 2013 10 tips for buying a home at an auction
- Jan 28, 2013 What's the value in paying points?
- Jan 23, 2013 5 ways to save on closing costs
- Jan 10, 2013 Homebuyer 2.0: New market, new rules
- Jan 03, 2013 Problems persist, but appraisals are improving
- Dec 14, 2012 An alternative route to mortgage approval
- Dec 03, 2012 A credit union could be your best source for a mortgage
- Nov 19, 2012 3 ways to pick the best closing date
- Oct 24, 2012 New rules for the new-construction market
- Oct 16, 2012 Rapid rescoring: 'Black art' or legitimate service?
- Oct 08, 2012 15 most expensive housing markets
- Sep 27, 2012 Lenders now demand bank-deposit documentation
- Sep 24, 2012 Homebuying: Fall is the new spring
- Sep 13, 2012 5 quick ways to boost your credit score
- Sep 07, 2012 States with the best homebuyer assistance programs
- Aug 20, 2012 Which mortgage term is best for you?
- Aug 10, 2012 Do you earn enough to buy a home in your city?
- Jul 27, 2012 Student loans causing some first-time buyers to fail
- Jul 23, 2012 Real estate agent: The job can be a killer
- Jun 25, 2012 3 obstacles keeping you from a condo
- May 31, 2012 Buying a foreclosure in today’s market
- May 18, 2012 Ready to buy a home? Take another look
- May 14, 2012 4 factors in the rent vs. buy decision
- May 10, 2012 Homebuyers: It's OK to overlook these 8 flaws
- Apr 27, 2012 Are home warranties worth buying?
- Apr 10, 2012 New homes are hard to find
- Apr 09, 2012 Tips to protect yourself from mortgage fraud
- Mar 30, 2012 Behind the scenes at a luxury home open house
- Mar 29, 2012 3 things homebuyers should never say to a Realtor
- Mar 19, 2012 Shadow inventory is getting better, not worse
- Mar 12, 2012 What jobs mean for housing this spring
- Mar 05, 2012 Can you score living near a baseball stadium?
- Mar 02, 2012 Conventional vs. FHA financing: Which is cheaper?
- Feb 17, 2012 How to challenge that low appraisal
- Feb 08, 2012 5 tips for cutting costs at closing
- Feb 06, 2012 7 terms every homebuyer should know
- Feb 03, 2012 Foreign homebuyers keep markets hot
- Jan 23, 2012 Is 6 percent commission a rip-off?
- Jan 18, 2012 The end is near for low mortgage rates
- Jan 09, 2012 A real estate agent's 5 worst practices
- Jan 05, 2012 Act today and beat the mortgage fee increase
- Dec 12, 2011 Your neighborhood’s 5 dirty little secrets
- Dec 05, 2011 Would you like a jet ski with that house?
- Nov 16, 2011 Do you need a lawyer to buy a home?
- Oct 27, 2011 5 golden rules of your interest rate lock
- Oct 24, 2011 Savvy ways social media can help you find a home
- Oct 21, 2011 5 credit report errors that will cost you
- Oct 18, 2011 Buying with family or friends: Clever or crazy?
- Oct 11, 2011 Mortgage pro: Don't let one denial stop you
- Oct 07, 2011 Mobile apps put power in the hands of homebuyers
- Sep 28, 2011 The right way to shop for a mortgage
- Sep 26, 2011 Faith-based lending: A mortgage with a message
- Sep 19, 2011 Don't drive yourself crazy: Consider the commute
- Sep 16, 2011 Protect yourself: When good homes go bad
- Sep 14, 2011 Close quickly and get better mortgage rates
- Sep 12, 2011 Pros and cons of paying cash for a home
- Sep 01, 2011 Smooth move: The art of a stress-free move
- Aug 29, 2011 Say goodbye to the slow short sale process
- Aug 24, 2011 Bargain homes from the federal government
- Aug 17, 2011 Prepaid items vs. closing costs--what's the difference?
- Aug 03, 2011 10-year Treasury is a false indicator of mortgage rates
- Jul 29, 2011 7 problems with online listings
- Jul 18, 2011 5 signs of a bad real estate agent
- Jul 08, 2011 Is it a gift or mortgage fraud?
- Jul 06, 2011 Lose your dream home in 5 easy steps
- Jul 05, 2011 4 myths and realities of homeownership
- Jun 29, 2011 Why savvy investors are back in real estate
- Jun 28, 2011 The American housing dream--alive but smarter
- Jun 22, 2011 Does housing counseling work?
- Jun 20, 2011 Think like a criminal: 4 steps to securing your home
- Jun 17, 2011 Can rent payments help your credit score?
- May 25, 2011 This is what it takes to be approved for a mortgage
- May 18, 2011 Mortgage approval: Does your home pass the test?
- May 05, 2011 Embracing ARMs: Low rates make them more attractive
- Apr 28, 2011 3 reasons every homeowner needs title insurance
- Apr 27, 2011 Your mortgage rate is treated like auto insurance
- Apr 18, 2011 5 rookie homebuying mistakes and how to avoid them
- Apr 14, 2011 7 basic facts about home insurance
- Apr 13, 2011 Mortgage rates matter more than home prices
- Apr 07, 2011 5 ways to pick the best real estate agent
- Apr 01, 2011 Banning YSPs could mean mortgages are fewer and farther between
- Mar 15, 2011 Homebuying: Single women winning this battle of the sexes
- Mar 04, 2011 Closing on your home: Are you walking in blind?
- Feb 01, 2011 Can you get out of a home purchase contract?
- Jan 27, 2011 Hard to get financing? Walk softly into hard money lending
- Jan 13, 2011 Horrible history of a home may be hidden from buyers
- Jan 11, 2011 7 ways to win with new credit scoring models
- Dec 07, 2010 Interested in buying "distressed" real estate? Here's what you need to know
- Dec 02, 2010 Short sales always a bargain?
- Nov 11, 2010 5 reasons homebuyers can be thankful this Thanksgiving
- Oct 29, 2010 Bucking the trend: The case for homeownership in 2010
- Sep 24, 2010 Home sales remain dismal: Bring back the homebuyer tax credit
- Sep 17, 2010 First-time buyers: Get the help you need from mortgage revenue bond programs
- Aug 17, 2010 Should you borrow a downpayment from your 401(k)?
- Aug 09, 2010 How to Finance a Condo Purchase
- Jul 21, 2010 Preparing to Buy: Do's and Don'ts for Your Home Purchase
- Jun 04, 2010 Preparing to Buy: Estimating the Costs of Homeownership
- Jun 01, 2010 How to Estimate the Costs of Homeownership
- May 17, 2010 Preparing to Buy: How Much Home Can You Afford?
- May 05, 2010 Preparing to Buy: Saving for Mortgage Expenses
- Feb 04, 2010 Mortgage Credit Certificates (MCCs) Help First-Time Homebuyers
- Feb 04, 2010 How To Avoid Problems At Your Closing
- Feb 04, 2010 What Documents Will I Need To Apply for a Mortgage?
- Feb 04, 2010 Are Home Prices Headed Down? Buying in a Falling Market
- Feb 04, 2010 Smart Homebuying: Catch a Winter Bargain!
- Feb 04, 2010 Ten Tips for Saving Money on Your Mortgage
- Feb 04, 2010 25 Steps to a Penny Pinching Closing
- Feb 04, 2010 Are You Ready to Build a New Home? Take this quiz to find out.
- Feb 04, 2010 Four Truths About Buying a New Home No One Tells You
- Feb 04, 2010 Mortgage Myths Could Be Costing You $25,000
- Feb 04, 2010 Uncovering The Top Ten Defects Before You Buy Your Dream Home
- Feb 04, 2010 Buying a Home: Five Considerations Beyond Low Mortgage Rates
- Feb 04, 2010 Mortgage Rates Remain Near Record Lows, But For How Long?
- Feb 04, 2010 Mortgage Rates: "Normal" and Historical Perspectives
- Feb 04, 2010 The Return of the 40-year Mortgage
- Feb 04, 2010 Three Steps to Get Going on Your Home Purchase
- Feb 04, 2010 Comparing Mortgage Brokers
- Feb 04, 2010 Home Mortgages: Qualification When Your Down Payment is Small
- Feb 04, 2010 Ten Steps to Getting the Best Mortgage and Interest Rate
- Feb 04, 2010 The Hybrid Adjustable Rate Mortgage: Four Key Questions to Ask
- Feb 04, 2010 The Three Main Types of Adjustable-Rate Mortgages
- Feb 04, 2010 Three Ways to Come Up With Your Mortgage's Closing Costs and Down Payment
- Feb 04, 2010 Today's Mortgage Rates: Should You Lock In?
- Feb 04, 2010 Before the Mortgage: Your Decision to Rent or Buy
- Feb 04, 2010 Shopping for a Mortgage: What APR Can't Tell You
- Feb 04, 2010 Examining the New Good Faith Estimate